3 Days 2 Nights
Mount Meru is an active stratovolcano located 70 kilometres (43 miles) west of Mount Kilimanjaro in the nation of Tanzania. At a height of 4,565 metres (14,977 ft), it is visible from Mt Kilimanjaro on a clear day and is the ninth or tenth highest mountain in Africa, dependent on definition. Much of its bulk was lost about 8,000 years ago due to an eastward volcanic blast, similar to the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens in the U.S. state of Washington.
Mount Meru most recently had a minor eruption in 1910. The several small cones and craters seen in the vicinity probably reflect numerous episodes of volcanic activity. Moun tMeru is the topographic centerpiece of Arusha National Park. Its fertile slopes rise above the surrounding savanna and support a forest that hosts diverse wildlife, including nearly 400 species of birds, also monkeys and leopards.
Day 0 : Pickup to Airport
You will be picked up from airport. From there you will go to the hotel in Moshi for an orientation on your trek. Your guides will be there to provide you with details on your trek and will also check your trekking gears.
Dinner and overnight at PANAMA GARDEN RESORT or similar hotel in Moshi Day 1:
Moshi to Momella gate-Miriakamba Hut (2500m)
After an early morning breakfast in Moshi (900m), you will be picked up from your hotel and brought to the Momella Gate in Arusha National Park. At this time, the porters will organize and pack the belongings for the hike while you and your guide register with the Tanzania National Park (TANAPA). You will then begin your ascent in Arusha National Park. The first day of hiking is similar to a walking safari; you should expect to see giraffes, zebras, antelope, buffalo, and potentially elephants near the trail. Due to the high possibility of spotting wildlife, an armed ranger, hired through the National Park, is required to hike with our team for the duration of the hike. As you continue hiking, you will pass the Ngarenanyuki River and a beautiful waterfall at the base of Mt. Meru. Upon arriving to Miriakamba Hut (2500m), your chef will prepare a hot dinner and washing water for you. Enjoy the beautiful sunset and overnight. Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Included
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut (2500m) - Saddle Hut (3500m) Duration: 3-5 hours of hiking
After breakfast, you will start ascending up the steep trail along the ridge of the saddle. You may see various wildlife along the way! The trail has views of Mt. Meru Crater and the Ash Tray. When you arrive at camp, you have the option of hiking Little Mt. Meru (3820m) with your guide to further acclimate. You will be served an early dinner, so you can receive ample rest before your midnight summit attempt. Get to sleep by 1900! Meals: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Included
Day 3: Saddle Hut (3500m) - Summit Attempt (4566m) - Moshi Duration: 12-14 hours of hiking
Your guide will wake you at 00:30 for tea and biscuits. You will then begin your summit attempt at 1:30am. The trail starts off on a steep grade to Rhino Point (3800m) to Cobra Point (4350m). The last hour of the hike you will scamble on a rocky ridge between the crater and inner cliffs of Meru. You will reach the summit of Meru (4565m) at sunrise with spectacular views of Mt. Meru Ash Tray and Mt. Kilimanjaro. Enjoy your views then descend to Momella Gate and return to Moshi Meals: Breakfast, Lunch Included
Dinner and overnight at PANAMA GARDEN RESORT or similar hotel in Moshi
If you are looking for a breathtaking hike that would be an adventure, look no further than Mount Meru Trekking. Although, there is not much to see on the way up. It can become very steep at times. This trek offers unparalleled views of Kilimanjaro as well as stunning landscapes from all angles. When climbing Mount Meru in Tanzania, you’ll experience many different climates throughout your journey. From lush vegetation with rivers running alongside you for one minute to arid stone-filled terrain below snow-capped peaks ahead another moment. It is simply incredible!
As you continue to hike through the trail, it narrows into a path that is not much bigger than your shoulders. Slowly and steadily, you’ll proceed higher to climb up the side of a cliff using your feet and handholds. This section is quite dangerous and exhausting because you would barely keep yourself steady for fear of slipping.
As you reach that point, don’t forget to look around and appreciate the magnificence of your surroundings. It is without a doubt an unforgettable moment in any person’s life. You will continue hiking until reaching another plateau with both Kilimanjaro and Meru peaks ahead. Enjoy the view of the variety of wildlife, including baboons, buffaloes, and elephants.
Bask in the beauty of the surrounding area, get ready to hike down again for a little bit. You will be going back into the rain forest when you start heading downwards again. Follow the trail until it ends at its start, where your vehicle is waiting for you.
It is a very tiring hike, but it is definitely worth the effort to see some of Tanzania’s most breathtaking sights! So, what are you waiting for? Book your tour now!
- Private transport from the hotel to the Park s gate (starting point for the climb), and transport back to the hotel after the climb
- All National Park entry fees
- All camping fees
- 2 night's hotel the night before and the night after the climb, with breakfast included
- Kilimanjaro National Park certificate for your successful summit attempt
- Qualified medical guides
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as hot drinks on the mountain
- Salaries for Guides, cook and porters.
- Rescue fees (Kilimanjaro Park rescue team fees)
- Government taxes
- Pickup and drop off to Airport
- Evacuation services
- Hut fees [ Marangu route }
- Friendly and competent Trained Mountain Guides, assistant guides, porters and professional cooks.
- 3 full fresh meals daily. We provide fresh food on the mountain in plentiful and well prepared by skilled professional cooks(we also consider your choice of food that you would prefer -Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian). Menu especially designed for climbers.
- Hot drinks on the mountain and Hot water for washing will be provide everyday on the mountain.
- Quality specious tents, sleeping mats, camping tables ,camping chairs and Mess/Dining Tent.(Not applicable on the Marangu route as accommodation is in A-frame huts) Supplementary Portable Oxygen and Complete First Aid Kit (used in case of emergency only) Pulse oxy-meter carried by all chief guides.
- 3-4 liters of mineral/treated water (per Climber) provided daily during the climb ***Portable toilet available at an additional cost (There are public toilets on the mountain)
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips for guides, porters and cook (average tip is anything from US$ 250 to US$ 350 per hiker - depending on number of days / how many hikers in the group and route chosen)
- Personal Hiking/Trekking gears (Some Gears are available for Rent)
- Snacks, personal medicine
- Meals, drinks and snacks not specified in hotel